Male factors are found to be the cause of infertility about 30% of the time. In another 30-40% of couples both female and male factors contribute to the couple’s infertility. These are surprising facts for many couples to learn – especially those who mistakenly believe infertility to be a woman’s issue. Therefore, it is essential that men be tested. Male infertility is diagnosed by a semen analysis.
There are many factors contributing to male infertility, including defects in the semen and sperm production, failure of sperm transport and general health and lifestyle issues, such as smoking, obesity and alcohol use. Fortunately, there are treatments for male factor infertility which include intrauterine insemination (IUI) and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
Comprehensive Male Infertility Services include the following:
- Computer Assisted Semen Analysis – Cutting edge laboratory test to assess male fertility.
- WHO and Kruger (strict) Morphology – Detailed grading system of sperm structure.
- Semen Washing – Procedure to separate the most highly motile fraction of sperm.
- Antisperm Antibody Testing – Test to determine whether sperm contain antibodies that can inhibit fertility potential.
- Cryopreservation of Semen – Process of freezing sperm for later use.
- Fructose Testing – Test to determine if there is an obstruction causing absence of sperm in the ejaculate.
- Postejaculatory Urine Testing – Test used in cases of suspected retrograde ejaculation.
- Semen Culture – Test for assessing bacterial contamination of semen.
- Sperm Viability Test – Test used to determine if non-motile sperm are alive.
Note: Condom Collections Kits are available for a modest fee.
To make an appointment with our laboratory,
Please call (718) 283-6568. Open 7 days a week,
8:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
To learn more read the ASRM Fact Sheet on “Sperm morphology (shape): Does it affect fertility?”
New York Fertility Clinic Locations
With multiple fertility clinics in the NYC area, GENESIS serves male infertility patients from Brooklyn, Staten Island, Long Island (Five Towns), and Lower Manhattan, New York. Find the location nearest you.
Learn more about male infertility: