The initial consultation with your physician is a comprehensive evaluation of your history and medical records. It may last up to an hour. During this visit, you will have the opportunity to have your questions answered and to participate in developing a plan for further evaluation and/or treatment. To optimize your first appointment for fertility care, we recommend that you bring your partner with you. Plan to arrive a minimum of 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time in order to complete any necessary paperwork.
When scheduling your initial appointment and prior to visiting our office, please review the checklist to ensure we are able to thoroughly assist you in an efficient and timely manner.
Before your appointment:
- Confirm that our practice / physicians are participating providers with your insurance plan.
- You can save time by submitting a Consent for Communication Via Email.
- Provide our office with your insurance information located on the front and back of your card.
- Inquire what types of services for infertility are covered under your plan.
- Obtain from your primary care physician any necessary referral authorizations for seeing a specialist.
- Please inquire as to which of our five offices you would like to visit (Brooklyn, Staten Island or Hewlett).
- If you already have children, please show sensitivity to others and arrange for child care; do not bring children under the age of 14 to the office. While we love children, protecting our patients is our primary concern.
You must bring this with you to your first visit:
- You and your partner’s insurance cards and photo identification.
- A copy of your medical records from your OB/GYN, primary care physician, or another fertility program.
- Medical records from the Urologist, if applicable.
- HSG (hysterosalpingogram) report and film from the hospital or radiology laboratory, if applicable.
- A referral from your primary care physician, if applicable.
- Insurance authorizations, if applicable.
- A Completed medical questionnaire (will be emailed to you with a confirmed appointment).
- A signed HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices (will be emailed to you with a confirmed appointment).
What will your initial consultation & evaluation be like?
The initial consultation with your physician is a thorough review of your history and medical records. You will also have a physical exam and possibly an ultrasound will be performed. Blood work may also be ordered but testing is individualized and every test is not performed on every person.
During this visit, you will have the opportunity to have your questions answered and to participate in developing a plan for further evaluation and/or treatment. We strongly encourage both partners to be present for this meeting.
This plan is based on the information provided by your medical history and physical examination. It is designed to focus on and answer many important questions including:
- Are you ovulating?
- Are your fallopian tubes normal?
- How does your uterus appear on ultrasound?
- Are the sperm normal in number and in function?
Once your diagnosis is established, a treatment plan will be tailored to suit your personal situation. After your initial consultation with a physician, an individualized, diagnostic plan will be outlined to determine the cause of your infertility. The recommended approach will depend on your age, diagnosis, the duration of infertility, any previous treatments, and your personal preferences.