NIAW 2021 – Chrissy Teigen and hubby John Legend have never been silent about their infertility struggles. And we thank them for that. This celebrity couple has shared some emotionally intense experiences and the reaction from fans has been incredible.
Many people dealing with fertility issues feel alone; like they’re the only ones that have difficulty getting pregnant. But the reality is it’s simply not true. Approximately 10% of people of childbearing age have reproductive trouble. No matter what race, religion, sexuality or economic status you are, infertility doesn’t discriminate.
During National Infertility Awareness Week, Chrissy Teigen has continued to share more about her fertility journey. Working with the health campaign Fertility Out Loud, she’s helping others by shining a light on a very dark topic.
What is Fertility Out Loud
In a collaboration between RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association and Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Fertility Out Loud is a new health campaign aimed to bring awareness to infertility. There are many causes of infertility. In fact, one in eight couples have difficulty getting and/or maintaining a pregnancy. Yet so many suffer in silence. When a celebrity opens up about their fertility struggles, it helps others feel less alone.
National Infertility Awareness Week themes
The theme of NIAW changes each year, though the focus is always the same – spreading awareness and advocacy for those that are challenged having a family. Here are the themes for the last several years.
- 2016 – #StartAsking – encouraging people to start asking questions; of their doctors, law makers, media.
- 2017 – #ListenUp – listen to others’ stories or tell your own.
- 2018 – #FlipTheScript – flipping the script is owning the conversation, so it’s understood that infertility is a medical issue and NOT a personal failure.
- 2019 – #InfertilityUncovered – means that it’s time to further expose the lack of access to family building options and emotional support for millions of women and men struggling to build a family.
- 2020 – #MyInfertilityStory – encouraging people to tell their story; “Your story has meaning, and your journey has a purpose.”
- 2021 – #WhatIWantYouToKnow – personal stories of infertility
Have you noticed that the theme for NIAW the last few years is encouraging people to tell their story? When people hear someone’s story, they connect to the cause personally. It’s no longer an abstract statistic. There is a name, a face and a story they can connect to.
This is where celebrity advocacy, like Chrissy Teigen with Fertility Out Loud, becomes a powerful tool. Connecting with real people who have been through the journey can make others feel less alone. You can sign up with Fertility Out Loud here. Let’s face infertility, together.
Image credit: @chrissyteigen Instagram Photo